These are instructions on how to root Asus Zenfone 5 running on android 4.4.2 using Zenfone5 rootkit on windows computer.
Caution: Rooting the device using any rootkit may brick the device. Therefore, we recommend you take a backup of your data before following the method below.
Root Asus Zenfone 5 using the Zenfone Rootkit
- Download and install Asus Zenfone 5 USB driver on your computer. If in case Asus USB driver is already installed on the computer, then SKIP this step.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Asus Device. To enable the USB debugging: Open Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging > Tap on the Checkbox to Enable it.
- Now, Connect your Asus Zenfone 5 Smartphone to the computer using the USB cable.
- Download and extract Zenfone5 rootkit on the computer. After extracting you will be able to see the following files:
- Open Root-ZenFone.bat (found in the Zenfone5 rootkit folder) to launch the Rootkit:
- Once Root-ZenFone.bat is opened, you will be able to see the following screen:
- Press any key from your keyboard to begin the rooting process. During the root process, your device may boot 5-6 times. And at the end, you will be able to see the success message.
- Now, your Asus Zenfone 5 is rooted successfully. To verify this, open your device and search for the SuperSU icon in the App Drawer.
(Developer Options are hidden for Android 4.2.2 and above. Go to Settings > About Phone > Built Number > Tap on it 5-8 times to display this option).
Optional: You can also verify the root status of your device by using the Root Checker Application.
[*] Backup: Please take a backup of your essential data, as rooting may delete your data. Backup also help you to recover your data whenever anything wrong happens in the rooting process.
[*] How to survive root access: During OTA updates, you may lose the root access. To avoid this, Open SuperSU > Settings > Enable Pro (you have to purchase the SuperSU Pro from the PlayStore) > Enable Survival Mode.
[*] How to Unroot: To untoot, Open SuperSU on your Device > Settings > Full Unroot.
[*] Asus Stock Firmware: If you are looking for the original firmware for your device, then head over to Download Asus Stock Firmware page.
[*] Asus USB Driver: If you are looking for the original USB Driver for your device, then head over to Download Asus USB Driver page.
[*] Credits: The Zenfone5 rootkit was created and distributed by shakalaca (developer). So full credit goes to him for sharing the toolkit for free.